15 Demands To Free Pacifica Foundation
IN DEFENSE OF FREE SPEECH RADIO:
1) WE DEMAND the abolition of the "Gag Rule."
We demand the abolition of the "dirty laundry" or gag rule and the initiation of a process of unscreened and uncensored discussion regarding these demands concerning Pacifica on the Pacifica airwaves and through other appropriate means that may be at Pacifica's disposal or under its control, including access to all past and present lists of Pacifica subscribers..
2) WE DEMAND the rehiring of any Pacifica staff person fired for violating the "Gag Rule."
We demand the re-employment of any staff members fired for violating the gag rule and the replacement of any program removed from the air for violation of that rule. We demand the re-employment of any staff removed by Pacifica in retaliation for their opposition to the Pacifica policies under discussion in these demands. We demand that layoffs resulting from anticipated revenue shortfalls due to this strike begin in and remain concentrated among staff at Pacifica's National Offices.
3) WE DEMAND an end to political censorship.
TO NOURISH DIVERSITY &
PROMOTE THE CULTURAL WELFARE OF COMMUNITY RADIO
4) WE DEMAND the end of racist and sexist programming policies.
We demand an end to racist and sexist programming policies. We demand the cessation of attacks on and an end to the removal of programs devoted to Women, the Black and Latino communities and many other minority groups and a reversal of the wholesale removal of programs that Pacifica initiated against almost all programs with radical leftist content.
TO RETURN TO GRASSROOTS RADIO :
5) WE DEMAND that Pacifica's so-called "Five Year Strategic Plan" be rescinded.
6) WE DEMAND the firing of all outside programming consultants and ratings analysts, along with the termination of Pacifica's contracts with the Arbitron ratings service.
TO SUPPORT THE RIGHTS OF WORKERS:
7)WE DEMAND the immediate cessation of all union busting activities and the withdrawal of all legal action against unions associated with Pacifica.
8) WE DEMAND the re-unionization of all Pacifica stations on the basis of new contracts that include non-paid staff in the bargaining process.
TO BE AS SELF-SUSTAINING AS POSSIBLE:
9) WE DEMAND the cessation of all CPB funding at Pacifica.
This funding source threatens to compromise Pacifica's integrity in a way the founders believed they had made impossible. The CPB interference in Pacifica's internal affairs is no different than that of any other corporate or governmental sponsor, and accepting such funds violates the fundamental premises of the foundation.
10) WE DEMAND that Pacifica refuse grants from all foundations and other corporate entities and that it place complete reliance on its listener sponsors as the only safeguard of the foundation's integrity.
11) WE DEMAND that no Pacifica station shall be sold and that all plans for the sale of WBAI and /or KPFA and other stations be immediately abandoned.
12) WE DEMAND roll back of National Office management positions and of the National Office's level of centralized control to 1977 levels (as outlined in the Bensky proposal); the return of decision making power to local stations; and the sharp curtailment of the power of the executive director.
TO ESTABLISH DEMOCRATIC GOVERNANCE & CONFLICT RESOLUTION:
13) WE DEMAND the dissolution of all 5 Local Area Boards and the Pacifica Governing Board and their reconstitution based on democratic elections.
14) WE DEMAND the creation of a governance system for Pacifica that includes meaningful participation and binding decision making powers for Pacifica's listener-sponsors and its paid and unpaid workers.
15) WE DEMAND the popularization of the process of selecting general managers and program directors at all Pacifica stations and the emplacement of mechanisms of accountability to the staffs and listeners for those who hold those positions.
From "Race & Power at Pacifica Radio" (atsavepacifica.net & radio4all.org/freepacifica) by Rafael Renteria, former Program Director & News Director at Pacifica Station KPFT/Houston, now of Los Angeles.
Contact: Rafael Renteria:firstname.lastname@example.org;
Carol Spooner/Gregory Wonderwheel:email@example.com
Pacifica Page | Top of Page